Monday, July 10, 2017

ANN CHRISTINE TABAKA



ANN CHRISTINE TABAKA


ODE TO A CAT

Oh killer of paper balls
And tormentor of squirrels
Laying at my feet
You have warmed your way
Into my heart

Soft vibrations emanate
At the touch of a hand
A sound so intoxicating
To those who are trapped
By your allure

Murderous claws and fangs
Bared and ready for attack
Against the invisible enemy
Lurking safely behind
The flower pot

Luminous jade eyes
Capture the imagination
For some you are a god
Others see you as
An omen of evil

Oh unpredictable imp
And lover of comfort
You are a delight to me
And many others
Who admire you






VICTIM

Your love was like a blinding light
It froze me in my tracks
Doe eyed I stood my ground
Afraid to believe that you were real
You came at me full speed ahead
And ran me over with your charm
I am now a victim
Of the accident of your adoring ways







ILLUSION

Darkness closes in
And swallows up the day
Absorbing the last traces of light
Lost in a valley of tangled dreams
I make my way through the void
Fragments of time flash by
Existence is but an illusion
From which there is no escape






FORGOTTEN

She stands on the corner,
Cold lonely, lost, forgotten;
As her youth slowly slips away.
She hides behind the makeup,
And clothing of her former years.

She evokes a look of pity from all who pass by.
Behind her mask,
Her features show the beauty of her age.
But she refuses to accept this,
And so continues to disguise her true worth.
Trading it in for a few more years of fantasy.

Why does she cling on so desperately,
To the worn pages of past times?
She has much more to offer now.
Many of us are obsessed with holding on,
To what we cannot have.
And in doing so neglect to see the satisfaction,
That each new age holds out to us.

She mistakes the glances of sympathy,
For admiration.
So for the moment she is content.
Then once again, all too soon …
She stands on the corner,
Cold, lonely, lost, forgotten …

ANN CHRISTINE TABAKA

ANN CHRISTINE TABAKA was born and lives in Delaware.  She is a published poet, an artist, a chemist, and a personal trainer.  She loves gardening, the ocean, and her cats.  Her poems have been published in poetry journals, reviews, and anthologies. 409 Walden Lane Hockessin, DE 19707


1 comment: